Forums » Bands and Music

non- goth bands

• batsforbrains
    • 2 posts
    June 14, 2014 9:59 PM EDT

Just curious, what non goth music do you guys like?  I'm a big fan of classical, jazz, and more.  I also play in a pretty straight forward punk band.  Just curious.   Fave goth bands are fields of the nephilim, bauhaus, banshees, red lorry yellow lorry, Christian death, sisters of mercy.  Non goth music = wagoner, sun ra, the pixies, the damned, black flag, black sabbath, the doors, the ramones, and more...

• July 15, 2014 2:59 AM EDT

judas priest

• pazuzu
    • 11 posts
    September 26, 2014 11:20 PM EDT

personally i like a wide range of things depending on my mood, no country though i got that rammed down my throat bad enough growing up in iowa.

• batsforbrains
    • 2 posts
    September 27, 2014 3:57 PM EDT

I like... certain kinds of country...  I play guitar and I play a lot of country on guitar but I'm into hank williams, johnny cash, hank III...  Voltaire has some countryish stuff too...

• November 1, 2014 7:11 PM EDT
    I'm a huge Nu-metal fan I.e deftones,chimaira I like classical/ indie also.
  • pazuzu
    • 11 posts
    January 19, 2015 6:23 AM EST

megadeth, shadows fall, katatonia, ozzy... im sure i could think of others in time but those are the ones that come to mind immediatly

• LadyAbsu
    • 3 posts
    February 22, 2015 5:01 AM EST

The Doors are the original goths! Still a fav.  Pantera, Slayer, Motorhead, Gojira...softer side Loreena Mckennit, Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan, Curtis Stigers, Jefferson Airplane, so much to listen to..

• Alexandrdragon
    • 2 posts
    March 20, 2015 1:49 AM EDT

Utada Hikaru. XD

This post was edited by Alexandrdragon at March 20, 2015 1:50 AM EDT
  • Mishanax
    • 7 posts
    April 26, 2015 2:59 PM EDT

I like a lot of indie and punk rock music in addition to goth music. I'd have to say my favorite artists in those categories would have to be Kimya Dawson and The (International) Noise Conspiracy.

• July 16, 2015 11:05 AM EDT

Lets see now...... Non-goth stuff would include Disturbed, The Damned, Madness, Within Temptation, System of A Down, Bon Jovi, Meat Loaf, Tapping The Vein, Electric Six, Bob Marley and The Wailers,  amongst other pop, rnb, soul, reggae and some classical artists.

• catholicgoth
    • 3 posts
    August 4, 2015 11:10 PM EDT
    I love punk and emo.
  • SatansPuppet
    • 6 posts
    August 22, 2015 2:18 PM EDT
    My whole damn life is based around Heavy metal/Screamo music and it's really all I listen to but the band Bastille make some pretty good songs that I can get into
  • DarkOldFang
    • 12 posts
    April 28, 2016 11:15 PM EDT
    Some non-goth band I like are, but not limited to, As It Is, ROAM, Of Mice & Men, Creeper, The Story So Far, etc.
  • September 2, 2016 8:21 AM EDT

Synthpop, Futurepop, Trip Hop, Hip Hop, IDM, Future Garage, Witch House, House, Trance, Classical, I listen to most genres, because I enjoy variety.

• TheMortician
    • 1 posts
    February 26, 2017 2:05 AM EST

Other than the basic goth music, I rly like vocaloid- Rin and Len kagamine, Hatsune Miku, ect

• March 3, 2017 6:24 AM EST

Lady Absu........The 'original goths' would probably be linked to bands such as Balhaus, Sisters of Mercy, The Mission, Siouxsie and The Banshees....eventhough they always denied their gothic roots......I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure The Doors are not technically 'goth'.

• MissBlackRose
    • 8 posts
    August 31, 2017 12:44 PM EDT

Strangly, Celtic Woman, Their voices are so beautiful and calming. An mixed with the orcastrua music, It takes my breath away.

• October 13, 2017 9:46 AM EDT

Black metal, gothic metal, and death metal are my favorite non-goth genres. Specifically I like raw and symphonic black metal. Slam/brutal death metal is my favorite death metal subgenre. Street punk and folk punk can be fun sometimes too.

• July 1, 2018 6:40 AM EDT

HAMMERHEAD!!!!!!!!!!

• July 6, 2018 10:10 PM EDT

I really enjoy Daniel Johnston's work. Lo-Fi recordings are a thing of mine. :)

• jolenemoon
    • 17 posts
    August 19, 2018 1:22 PM EDT

Prog rock, industrial, symphonic metal, power metal, classical music, goth metal, certain electronic/synth-y things, and then some random others like Die Antwoord, Lady Gaga, Katy Perry, Paramore, and some other non-gothy non-metal-head-y poppy stuff. It's hard to put a band into a specific genre unless you know the genres really well. I think the lines between music genres are more blurred than ever these days, and I'm totally ok with that :) But obviously I love the old goth-rock classic goth stuff too. :)

• THISISMYELEMENT
    • 3 posts
    September 19, 2018 9:59 PM EDT

DSBM/BM/FOLK/AMBIENT/JAZZ shit

• July 5, 2019 10:28 AM EDT
    jolenemoon said:

Prog rock, industrial, symphonic metal, power metal, classical music, goth metal, certain electronic/synth-y things, and then some random others like Die Antwoord, Lady Gaga, Katy Perry, Paramore, and some other non-gothy non-metal-head-y poppy stuff. It's hard to put a band into a specific genre unless you know the genres really well. I think the lines between music genres are more blurred than ever these days, and I'm totally ok with that :) But obviously I love the old goth-rock classic goth stuff too. :)

You and I are in 100% agreement on the subject of generalization; the boundaries defining music categories have weakened considerably, and that's a good thing. I gave up looking for music by way of genre long ago, as I've found over the years that great art can emerge from anywhere, and pigeonholing a thing does more to limit its exposure and appreciation than share and promote it. I love experimental/quartet jazz of the sort composed by John Coltrane or Miles Davis or Rahsaan Roland Kirk, post rock along the lines of Red Hands Black Feet, art rock in the vein of Liars or Cheer-Accident, hip-hop in defiance of sterotypes like that of Kool Keith, Shabazz Palaces, or Dels, classic Americana ala Estil Ball, punk rock like Bad Religion, Dead Kennedys, or X-Ray Spex, and so much more. Tom Waits, David Bowie, Bjork, and Brian Eno amaze me with their ability to evade any one genre completely. There's so much amazing art out there: it's worth evaluating every band on its own merit, regardless of genre. I'm doing my best to post a link every day or so to a song by a band people on this site might like but haven't heard, if they're open-minded enough to give it a listen - "goth" music is great, but it's only the tip of the iceberg!
  • spookydevil6667
    • 3 posts
    July 7, 2019 12:00 AM EDT

i love black, alternative, gothic, industrial, and death metal! im listening to cradle of filth and mushroomhead the most right now

This post was edited by spookydevil6667 at July 7, 2019 12:01 AM EDT
  • RoxyJames
    • 38 posts
    September 9, 2019 9:01 AM EDT
    Oh god Ex Skinhead here so was listening to Alot of Blue Beat bands, Ska, The Specials etc Even some Punk Bands.
    But also love Muse and Carter The Unstoppable Sex Machine among other odd choices